Ten Small Pleasures
“As the world turns” in these chaotic times, most of us are seeking health and balance the best we can.
Here are ten recent activities that have helped lift my spirits:
- Drawing and dressing my four Gigettas shown above with polka dots. Gigetta and polka dots always make me happy.
- Baking chocolate/meringue cookies– baci in gondola— from The Table of Venice. They actually tasted quite good, kind of like French macarons on trainer wheels.
- Creating easy-to-make mini chocolate croissants with pre-prepared puff pastry, filled with three kinds of chocolate chips, rolled, brushed with egg, baked for 20-25 minutes at 350, and consumed easily and quickly with my morning latte.
- Mixing a Lemon Drop cocktail to watch the vp debate.
- Enjoying a dinner of Cioppino—one of my family faves– with fresh baked bread given to us by friends who had just made too much for themselves—lucky us!
- Receiving a surprise book on travel (!) from another friend. Called A House Somewhere: Tales of Life Abroad, it’s a fun “get your motor runnin’” read.
- FaceTiming with two high school friends to talk about a book called Lost Department Stores of San Francisco by Anne Evers Hitz. For anyone who knew San Francisco of old, this is a pleasant trip down nostalgia lane.
- Going camping in our van for an overnight at a campsite about 45 minutes from our home that provided a small hit of newness. Woo-hoo! It also happened to be the night of the first Presidential debate. As we listened, our doggie threw up…hmmm.
- Having wonderful phone conversations with friends and family. Thank you!
- Honoring my daily rituals of journaling, making coffee, and walking up the hill with John and Cosi.
And you? I would love to hear what has brought you joy, big or little, these last few weeks. As the Beatles said, “I get by with a little help from my friends.” We can all use inspiration these days.